RE: [ukha_xpl] Re: Win a WebBrick worth £350!

  • Subject: RE: [ukha_xpl] Re: Win a WebBrick worth £350!
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:24:55 -0000

As always with these things, it's possibly less "worth =A3350"
and more "co=
sts
=A3350". :(

It's such a dissapointment to see these gadgets appear and think
"cool!" at
the features, then see the inevitable "sharp intake of breath"
price(tm)

I do hope the guys do well, because the kit looks rather cool and I have a
lot of sympathy for any start-up company in the UK, however, at the same
ti=
me
- I can't help but feel they will fall into the barren middle ground - they
seem to be producing a hobbyist device at semi-pro pricing, rather than
either producing a slick semi-pro looking device at a suitable price point
(ie, more expensive), or a hobbyist device at a hobbyist price (ie, around
the =A350 mark)

When I started looking at numbers for putting together Ethernet enabled
hardware, getting your own PCBs fabbed, etc... Well, let's just say that
th=
cost of the Bill of Materials is a loooooooong way south from =A3129! That
=
is
for the first lot of kit, I guess, so it will be interesting to see if the
price settles down to something more realistic. Given that kit like the
siteplayer or packetwhacker exist in the 20-30 DOLLAR space, there's some
pretty stiff competition.

Of course, it would be cool to have one to play with - so don't consider me
too negative just yet ;)

I.