Re: PC to RS485 bridge

  • Subject: Re: PC to RS485 bridge
  • From: "Your Name" <neilw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:32:26 +1100

Hi Frank,

Yes I'm still going ahead with the 485 project.
I have a couple of existing projects to finish off, I.e. Like
my "Vehicle Announcer". Basically this is an X10 RF Transmitter
that
plugs into the cigarette lighter of the car and transmits ON signals
for the first couple of minutes after power up (Engine turned on) and
then transmitts OFF signals. This way the HA system can detect when a
specific car has been started and and is leaving and also when a
specific car is arriving home. I've made a couple of these, but I want
to shrink them a bit. The current units are fully programable I.e.
House/Code address polling rate etc etc.
It's great to see the driveway lights coming ON from 3 houses away, or
to be sitting in side and having the HA system tell you that the wife
is home :) (Gives you a chance to put away those cookies).

Neil.

> <tt>
> Hi Neil<BR>

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Are you going to progress with the xPL-RS485 Gateway , or is it<BR>
&lt;neilw@xxxxxxx&gt;<BR>
equation.
I have<BR>
> &gt; absolutely no knowledge of Java at all.<BR>
> &gt; But, Having a piece of software that supports one platform is
better than<BR>
> &gt; having nothing at all!<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; Note - I have not seen anybody put up their hand for the PC
interface yet.<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; Regards,<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; Neil Wrightson.<BR>
> &gt; -----Original Message-----<BR>
> &gt; From: Gerry Duprey [mailto:gerry@xxxxxxx]<BR>
> &gt; Sent: Friday, 11 February 2005 6:06 AM<BR>
> &gt; To: ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx<BR>
> &gt; Subject: Re: [ukha_xpl] PC to RS485 bridge<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; Howdy,<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; &gt; In what regard are you referring to with cross
platform? I
program in<BR>
> &gt; Delphi<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; In the sense that, at a minimum, the source code can be
easily
copied to<BR>
> an<BR>
> &gt; alternate platform and recompiled or ideal, that the
&quot;binary&quot;/compiled<BR>
> form<BR>
> &gt; can run on multiple platforms.<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; I also use Delphi and have developed a few apps in Kylix
(Delphi for<BR>
> Linux).<BR>
> &gt; While I like certain aspects, it leaves Mac users out in the
cold as well<BR>
> as<BR>
> &gt; solaris users and others.<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; There are Java and perl frameworks (I think python too) that
would be able<BR>
> &gt; to<BR>
> &gt; run on many platforms.&nbsp; There are also C based ones
that
could be ported<BR>
> &gt; (with<BR>
> &gt; a slight bit or work) to multiple platforms (ones not
dependent
on .net or<BR>
> &gt; windows, but using posix interfaces).<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; My concern is this -- an automation protocol as powerful as
xPL
needs to<BR>
> be<BR>
> &gt; widely available for many different platforms in order to be
embraced by<BR>
> the<BR>
> &gt; embedded device market on any sort of scale.&nbsp; While
Windows lock-in (or<BR>
> any<BR>
> &gt; platform lockin) may be OK in a commercial software world,
for
embedded<BR>
> &gt; control, it's much more limiting.<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; Worse, because something written only for a specific platform
may have a<BR>
> &gt; general audience (hubs, CM12 interface, Homevision, etc),
you'll often see<BR>
> &gt; multiple, slightly incompatible incarnations of the same tool
for each<BR>
> &gt; platforms.&nbsp; As a result, vendors cannot depend on a
given
service working<BR>
> &gt; with<BR>
> &gt; their product because depending on the target client
platform,
the<BR>
> &gt; protocol/behavior/etc of the software may vary enough to
break
it.<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; Finally, there is so much effort poured into some of these
great xPL apps<BR>
> &gt; that<BR>
> &gt; it really bums me out to see it only available for a single
platform.&nbsp; If<BR>
> &gt; another platform is needed, all that previously spent talent
and time is<BR>
> for<BR>
> &gt; naught (not always, but still).<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; The xPL protocol is already very platform independent and is
even<BR>
> &gt; multi-media<BR>
> &gt; (networking, serial, etc) friendly/agnostic.&nbsp; But
the
software that drives<BR>
> &gt; this is, primarily, bound to a single platform
(windows/.net).<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; I do realize somethings are so highly platform dependent that
using a<BR>
> &gt; platform<BR>
> &gt; specific language is necessary and makes sense (something
that
works with<BR>
> &gt; Windows TAPI stuff isn't likely to have much value on a Mac
OSX
system<BR>
> even<BR>
> &gt; if<BR>
> &gt; the language was portable).&nbsp; But many things, like a
RS485<BR>
> &gt; gateway/interface,<BR>
> &gt; really doesn't depend on any platform specifics (beyond
serial
ports,<BR>
> which<BR>
> &gt; are generic enough and abstracted enough to be safely
programmed for in a<BR>
> &gt; general, platform independent way).&nbsp; Doing these
once, in
a platform<BR>
> &gt; independent way that allows the same code to be used in many
different<BR>
> &gt; deployment environments would be a huge boost/benefit to the
xPL<BR>
> community.<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; About 20% of the xPL related development I do is specifically
for Windows<BR>
> &gt; (where I use Delphi) and the rest runs on windows, linux,
macOSX, solaris<BR>
> &gt; and<BR>
> &gt; even a true64 system.&nbsp; Except for that 20%, the rest
all
runs the same<BR>
> code<BR>
> &gt; (compiled code, even -- Java in my case) and it's all nice
and
consistent.<BR>
> &gt; Being able to code once and let the particular clients
implementation need<BR>
> &gt; dictate the hardware (vs my software doing it or requiring
custom<BR>
> software)<BR>
> &gt; is<BR>
> &gt; immensely powerful.<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; I hope this does not come across as Windows bashing or Java
advocacy as I<BR>
> &gt; don't mean either.&nbsp; Windows does a fine job, Java
does a
fine job.&nbsp; Just<BR>
> &gt; really &quot;pushing&quot; the idea of, when
possible,
considering a way to allow<BR>
> your<BR>
> &gt; work to benefit as wide an audience as possible and to help
xPL
become so<BR>
> &gt; pervasive it's as attractive as possible to new device
developers.<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; &gt; Does anybody know what Delphi comm drivers are
available
for Linux?<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; AsyncPro CLX is supposed to linux -- check into it
here<BR>
> &gt; <a
href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/tpaproclx/";>http://sourceforge.ne
t/projects/tpaproclx/</a><BR>
> &gt; &lt;<a
href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/tpaproclx/";>http://sourceforge.ne
t/projects/tpaproclx/</a>&gt;<BR>
&lt;<a href="http://www.cdp1802.org";>http://www.cdp1802.org</a>&gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; xPL Links: <a
href="http://www.xplproject.org.uk";>http://www.xplproject.org.uk</a>
&lt;<a
href="http://www.xplproject.org.uk";>http://www.xplproject.org.uk</a>&gt
;<BR>
> &gt; <a href="http://www.xplhal.com";>http://www.xplhal.com</a>
&lt;<a
href="http://www.xplhal.com";>http://www.xplhal.com</a>&gt;&nbsp;
<a
href="http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk";>http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk</a><BR>
href="http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk";>http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk</a>&gt;<BR>
ukha_xpl-unsubscribe@xxxxxxx<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; Yahoo! Groups Sponsor<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; ADVERTISEMENT<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &lt;<a
href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129d1lshp/M=298184.6018725.7038619.30
01176/D=gr">http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129d1lshp/M=298184.6018725.7038
619.3001176/D=gr</a><BR>
href="http://clk.";>http://clk.</a><BR>
> &gt;
atdmt.com/NFX/go/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&amp;time=110806206583
7120&gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &lt;<a href="http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=">http://us.adserver.yahoo.
com/l?M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=</a><BR>
> &gt; :HM/A=2532114/rand=984207388&gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; _____<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; Yahoo! Groups Links<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; * To visit your group on the web, go to:<BR>
> &gt; <a
href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ukha_xpl/";>http://groups.yahoo.com/
group/ukha_xpl/</a><BR>
> &gt; &lt;<a
href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ukha_xpl/";>http://groups.yahoo.com/
group/ukha_xpl/</a>&gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<BR>
> &gt; ukha_xpl-unsubscribe@xxxxxxx<BR>
subject=Unsubscribe&gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service<BR>
> &gt; &lt;<a
href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/";>http://docs.yahoo.com/info/ter
ms/</a>&gt; .<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; [Non-text portions of this message have been
removed]<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt; xPL Links: <a
href="http://www.xplproject.org.uk";>http://www.xplproject.org.uk</a>
> &gt; To Post a Message: ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx<BR>
> &gt; To Unsubscribe:&nbsp;
ukha_xpl-unsubscribe@xxxxxxx<BR>
> &gt; Yahoo! Groups Links<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> &gt;<BR>
> <BR>
> </tt>

> <tt>
> xPL Links: <a
href="http://www.xplproject.org.uk";>http://www.xplproject.org.uk</a>
href="http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk";>http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk</a><BR>

> <!-- **begin egp html banner** -->

> <tt><hr width="500">
> <ul>
> <li>To visit your group on the web, go to:<br><a
href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ukha_xpl/";>http://groups.yahoo.com/
group/ukha_xpl/</a><br>&nbsp;
> <li>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
to:<br><a
href="mailto:ukha_xpl-unsubscribe@xxxxxxx?
> <li>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/";>Yahoo!
Terms of Service</a>.