Re: Poll Explanation

Howdy,

> "I'm so darn busy, I have less than 10 minutes free time a week
to spend on
> this stuff right now"

:-)

> (I chose: "My preferred dev environment is platform dependent,
otherwise, I'd
> do it", basically I'm a VB whore, and anything else is a
struggle!)

I really do understand that position and suspect it's the majority case of
windows based developers -- it's what is known and where the experience is.

> Tbh Gerry, you make a very compelling point - platform independence is
a good
> thing to aim for.. *BUT* there's a catch. The original developers are
all
> windows based, and repeated requests for Linux developers to take up
the
> challenge and run with us have fallen flat.

I understand.  I've contribed my java framework (not sure if there is
anyone
other than me using it, but I've used it a lot), but most of what I've
written is client specific (i.e. wouldn't be much use outside of the
specific place it's designed for).  As I develop device specific or even
generic add ons, I will post/contribute them as well.

> We have asked until we turn blue what apps people want to see, and get
> nothing in response - with the result that we have built what *we*
need, and
> if it helps other people, that's great.

I really like what I see in xPLHAL, but as I do not have any windows
platforms to use it on, it's all lost to me (part of why I started making
noise about platform independence).  I suppose I could look to writing a
Java equivalent, but I have to believe that there would always be some
subtle diffs between the windows and my version.  If there was a way to
converge the development on one source base, the work would not have to be
duplicated and we'd not have slightly different versions out there.

> All of the xpl development done so far has been done against a
backdrop of
> breathtaking apathy - it's clear that some mystical "it" is
missing from the
> offerings so far, but it's also clear that if we waited on people to
tell us
> what that "it" was, we'd still be waiting come doomsday!

I'm curious too -- is it just that there is not enough exposure for xPL
(and
hence folks do not look/think to use it)?  or is everyone doing custom work
with it (which is where much of my work is).

> It would be hassle for you to do a generic app framework in
java/whatever and
> a howto document explaining how to make it work and extend it to do
your own
> stuff, but at the same time, you might give enough people a glimmer of
what
> can be done to get things kicking!

Well, the Java framework is available and posted.  It lets you go from
simple xPL message/wire encapsulation services write up to a fully managed
"xPL" service that automatically handles configuration, heart
beats, etc, etc.

What I don't have is a Howto (there are a number of sample apps included in
the distro with moderately heavy commenting -- simple ones up to more
complex ones).

I'll see if I can carve out some time to create a xPL4Java intro/primer

Gerry

--
Gerry Duprey
Ann Arbor, MI 48103