Converting meteor phone number to name using DB

I'm struggling to use John B's sample code as below (but with
host/user/database changed
appropriately) for doing a DB lookup.

Driver;UID=homecontrol;PWD=********;SERVER=jupiter;DATABASE=telephones;OPTION=2"

> <rest of function snipped

I have the DB access working properly from other programs, and if I change
the passwd
provided in the connection string, I see a suitable error message from the
mysql driver in
the xPLHal error log. But, when the settings are all what I believe are
correct, the
Con.Open line causes an error. The xPLHal error log only shows "Error
Executing Script
'JOHNB_METEOR_METEOR_Trigger' (Catastrophic failure)"

I know this because if I comment out all other lines that use the DB and
leave only the
Con.Open, I get this error message.

Anybody got any clues as to what this might mean or how I can investigate
further?

Thanks,
Paul