Re: new X10 component: medusa-cm11

Hi Tom,

> Sending an X10 function to multiple devices is only possible for
> devices that share the same housecode.  The following is nonsense:
> command=ON
> device=A1,B2

Why? That looks perfectly reasonable to me.

Most users won't be aware of the underlying X10 protocol, and they
shouldn't have to be.

xPL is designed to abstract users away from the complexities of what's
going on underneath (at least to a certain extent).

So if you see a command like:
device=a1, c3, b4

Then treat it as 3 separate commands, sending the X10 address/function
pairs as appropriate.

But if you see:
device=a1, a2, a3, b1

Then optimise the transmissions accordingly.

> I suggest the following amendment to the schema:
> DEVICE=<list of x10 devices, comma seperated, only the first device
> contains a housecode>
> This then is a valid command:
> command=ON
> device=B2,7,8
>
> It forces the sender to construct syntactical correct X10 commands.

But
device=A1,A2,C3,F5 is also syntactically correct.

> don't think it will have an impact on existing applications as these
> are probably not using the construct device=B2,B7,B8 because I believe
> there currently exists no application that correctly implements this.

xPL Comfort certainly does, as it hands them off to Comfort to process.

The VB6 CM12 app, HomeVision and the MR26E are just some of the apps that I
can think of that use x10.basic - are you sure these don't support mixed
device lists?

Not to mention any apps out there that we don't know about.

> Anybody using X10 extended commands ?  I can only see that what is
> sent to the CM11 is accepted, I don't have devices that use these
> commands.

I've used the LD11 to do extended dimming, but I think the new micro
modules also use extended commands.

I'm sure someone on this list will be able to try out your app with an LD11
to test the extended codes - as I'm no longer an X10 user I can't help here
I'm affraid.

Regards,

John