Re: [OT] Programming Language

Hi Andy

> Merry Christmas and an Happy New Year...

And the same to you ....

> Programming languages are like religions, everyone thinks their one is
> best. However I can try >and give you some hints as to which might
be
> useful for you...

Thanks ......

> Python and Perl - Both interpreted languages both available on Linux
and
> Windows and 99% of >the time you can write on one platform and just
copy
> to the other an it'll still function. Both are >FREE and can be got
from
> Activestate

Have spent the last couple of hours reading up on Python ......

> C and C++  - These are options too, indeed C might be useful to you
with
> your PIC stuff too - These tend to be a bit harder to learn but are
well
> worth the effort imho. Nice tight small executables (although if you
> really want to create bloatware you can ;) )

My interest isnt really on programming pics with a high level
language....more on writing an application which would configure some pic
hardware....Something Like Gerrys RGBLED app...

Thanks for the feedback

Frank

> Merry Christmas and an Happy New Year...
>
> Programming languages are like religions, everyone thinks their one is
> best. However I can try and give you some hints as to which might be
> useful for you...
>
> VB - Well you can't really get VB any more, it's this dot net stuff
now
> which is in reality totally different from VB. However I do know for a
> fact that every time someone writes an application in this 'new' VB
God
> kills a kitten.
>
> Python and Perl - Both interpreted languages both available on Linux
and
> Windows and 99% of the time you can write on one platform and just
copy to
> the other an it'll still function. Both are FREE and can be got from
> Activestate
>
> http://www.activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePerl
>
> it has a nice installer to make life easier.... they also do a Python
> distribution
>
> http://www.activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePython
>
> C and C++  - These are options too, indeed C might be useful to you
with
> your PIC stuff too - These tend to be a bit harder to learn but are
well
> worth the effort imho. Nice tight small executables (although if you
> really want to create bloatware you can ;) )
>
> HTH
>
> Andy
>

> On 27/12/2005 at 09:00 Frank Mc Alinden wrote:
>
>>Hi Guys
>>
>>I would like to force myself to (at least try)  learn a programing
>>language
>>so i could maybe write some simple apps for my xPL  usage....Have
several
>>books on C ...VB........
>>But i was browsing the web and came across Python ...??? Is this a
>>suitable
>>language for my needs and is it easy for a non programmer to pick
>>up.......Here ther link where im currently reading from...
>>http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide
>>
>>Thanks
>>Frank
>>www.armaghelectrical.com.au