RE: X10 Schema and Preset Dim

  • Subject: RE: X10 Schema and Preset Dim
  • From: "Eric Vickery" <ericvic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 01:25:08 -0600

Gerry,

I agree with most of what you are saying but if there is going to be
abstraction at all then I don't think the schema should be called X10. I
think there should be a more generic "lighting" schema. One side
benefit
of that would be that different xPL gateways could use the same schema
even though their hardware differs and then "clients" that wanted
turn on a light would only have to know 1 schema, unless they wanted
more specific functionality that a certain hardware protocol supplied.

One point I disagree with you on is that predim1 and predim2 aren't
standard X10 just because all the devices out there don't support them.
If you go that route then on and off are the only standard X10 commands
because not all devices support the other commands. I would also go as
far as to say the most (if not all) modern devices that use the X-10
protocol (not including devices actually from x10.com) support predim1
and predim2 unless they are a relay type switch.

To get back to my original question. Where should I assume that the
levels for preset dims will be in an xPL message? I have to support them
because my light switches use them as well as my thermostat.

Thanks,
Eric