Vendor ID and a question

  • Subject: Vendor ID and a question
  • From: "mustang8760" <ericvic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 20:30:34 -0000

I would like to get a vendor ID. I have a little "company" called
Electronic Visions and would like a vendor ID for it.

Also I have been reading up on xAP and xPL and I like the device
discovery and configuration that xPL has. I'm trying to figure out if
the discovery mechanism built into xPL would work for what I want to
do.  Say I have a application that holds the state of all the lighting
devices in my house, some of them may be X-10 and some may be UPB or
Insteon so I want to present them to the rest of the xPL world as just
lighting devices and keep how they interact with the actual physical
devices hidden. Would I have to have a different xPL device for each
light or could just the instance ID change? For instance could I say
(I know this is not realy valid xPL but it is just for example)
electronicvisions-deviceholder.(some instance ID) and keep the
electronicvisions-deviceholder. for each light? If I can then how
would other xPL application be able to discover that my application
held the state for 10 lights? Sorry if this is a bit confusing, I'm
still very new to xPL but I want to get a better handle on it before I
start coding.

Thanks,
Eric