Re: xPL - k8000 Gateway Release (12/05/2005)

  • Subject: Re: xPL - k8000 Gateway Release (12/05/2005)
  • From: "Tom Van den Bon" <tvdbon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 08:01:05 -0000

> Congratulations on your first xPL gateway!  Always feels good to ship
> product, eh?
Tell me about it, thanks for all the help, it wouldn't have gotten
this far without your help and everybody else too!

> Not sure how many people use the k8000 (to be honest, I hadn't heard
of it
> before you started posting), but with luck, more folks will and will
now be
> drawn to it as it can be controlled via xPL.  Be sure to post a news
item
> and add a download link at the xPL web site so folks can find your
software.

I'll add the link today and I'll probably post a news item on the
k8000 list, maybe some people there will be interested in HA.

when it
> is possible and won't break things, is best if it can be liberal in
what it
> accepts (i.e. ignore case unless it's crucial to the purposes of the
message).

> xPLLib includes a platform-portable xPL_strcmpIgnoreCase() function
which
> works exactly like strcmp() with the exception of being case
insensitive.
> Perfect for parsing xPL message contents.
Interesting, I'll have a look at the function and change my source
accordingly. But yeah, it does make better sense to do a
in-casesensitive strcmp, where was my mind.

> I'd also suggest your vendor and device ID's in the
xPL_createService() are
> set to lower case and it would probably be a good idea to add a
> xPL_setServiceVersion() call in there as well.  Tools like DCM can
show you
> the version of all xPL apps (that have a version).
I'll have a look at that.

> And, as you've probably read, the new xPLLib with full device
configuration
> support is available.  Based on what I saw in your code, you should
be able
> to add at least a basic level of configurability in about 5 minutes.
Adding
> more configurables will take a bit longer, but not too much more.
There is
> updated example code in the download along with some other notes in
> CONFIG.txt (like using xPL_sendServiceMessage instead of
xPL_sendMessage).

Cool, I'm busy downloading the new version and I'll be trying it out
this weekend. I've also decided to try your java apps this weekend and
see how it goes.

> Great job!!

Thanks,

Tom (vdb)