RE: Advanced xPLHal usage?

  • Subject: RE: Advanced xPLHal usage?
  • From: JONATHAN PAYNE <jgpayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 15:47:31 +0100 (BST)

The reminder to put the rubbish out is an excellent idea! :)

cheers,
jon

Tony Tofts <tony@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> That's a snapshot of my xPLHal usage. How about some more
> examples and case studies? What are you guys using this stuff for?

Hi Ian,

I do a lot of the same things as yourself, or will do shortly.

Don't have control of the heating though yet, but hopefully will at some
point.

The first automatic curtain rail is still waiting to be installed too...

I make use of the rio remote controls to control tivo/lights/power/dvd
changer/hapc etc (via xplmedianet of course!)

Have a redrat to control tivo/dvd/video switcher/radio tuner etc via xpl

Have a couple of webcams around the house I can access from the internet,
and if there is an intrusion detected (or someone rings the doorbell - can
play any wav/mp3 file for the doorbell chime using john's winamp plug-in) I
get an e-mail and/or sms message. Can also control all the xpl stuff
remotely from the internet.

Use a pda for things like selecting a dvd from the changer by image (this
will eventually be a functionality built-in to xplmedianet)

Things like doorbell and fridge/freezer etc opening and closing are logged
(sad I know!), and if fridge/freezer is left open then I get an alert (so
not so sad!)

Use tts for things like reminding me to put the dustbin/salvage out on
first
visit to the kitchen on a particular day, or to say who's ringing (or I'm
ringing)

Make use of x10 motion sensors and xpl_dawndusk to turn lights on/off if
approriate

Have caller id for incoming/outgoing calls (also logged) and once the rio
in
the home office is used for music (rather than just development) will
implement your mute function (great idea by the way).

Haven't put my aircon on x10 as it's currently relocated to the bedroom

That's the sort of thing anyway.

Anyone else?

Regards
Tony