Re: so as theres a xPL-xAP gateway, can homeseer talk to xPL?

Short answer 'yes', long answer....

There are many way of linking applications /devices using xPL and
xAP as the middleware protocol and as both are really fast on Ethernet
this is very workable. That's one of the great strengths and intents of
the 'x' solutions - they are both very efficient sending commands and
receiving status information in just one Ethernet packet.    There is a
'scriptable' bridge built into xPL HAL that allows you to selectively
transfer data to and from xAP should you so wish. The scriptable bit is
used to ensure that you just transfer the information (devices/schema)
that you want and to allow reformatting of the message to match either
side schemas.
I use this in my own environment which is a mixed xAP/xPL one
allowing a choice of the best tool on either side to get the job done.
xPLMediaNet for example has no equivalent in xAP and is one fine
application, it would be silly to duplicate this development on xAP
just to have another 'us to' solution, and  xPLMediaNet is one capable
and complex application refelecting a huge investment in Tony's time,
very impressive. Indeed I feel the xPL/xAP communities should be
leveraging each others strengths as in a 'global' sense we are both
relatively small - but growing :-)  People make their own choice for
their particular favourite and that's where they should focus their main
integration efforts , using whatever options are available to integrate
the various bits they need. That's the role of the xAP bridge in xPLHAL.
The controller / engine should probably operate in just your one chosen
environment for simplicity.
What you should be looking at is quite what information you want to
share with MainLobby and in what interactive way. Interestingly
everything in this message applies in much the same way with say XLobby.
MainLobby has a few paths to external applicatiuon integration including
the ability to link via a command line and also Girder. The route you
mention  "mainlobby->homeseer->xAP->xPL" is just one
solution , which
would work,  involving 4 or 5 steps from end to end. Fortunately the 'x'
steps happen very very fast. Also HomeSeer is a chargeable application
the scripting component of which is a little redundant to you if you are
using xPLHAL where you get it for free. Of course, and maybe the key
point -  if you already use HomeSeer then maybe it is the ideal path.
Reducing the number of 'steps' in any end to end  interaction,
particularly if the transfer is bidirectional obviously improves speed ,
but more critically increases reliability as there is less to go wrong
on the way. Keeping things simple and dependable is key to HA which is
why many people dislike ever involving a PC in the first place. (Or at
least one with non 100% dependable OS)  . Should you go this route then
if you do need any help with the xPL - HomeSeer scripting via the bridge
I can try. I know it works as I use it for example to display tracknames
in HomeSeer from xPLRio currently, of course different devices need
different scripts.
I am not sure about the possibility of linking xPL via Girder which
might be an attractive option -  anyone ??

Kevin

slashcomfort wrote:

>I'm just getting my head around all this, will this work?
>
>Although this is long winded, i'd like to use mainlobby to be the front
>end for the automation, so this would be
mainlobby->homeseer->xAP->xPL