RE: xPL Hal in a loop

  • Subject: RE: xPL Hal in a loop
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:35:28 +0100

There was a discussion along these lines about a year ago - looking at
the use of a completely separate xpl-cnfg message type for configuration
purposes - and we opted instead to basically stick with the message
types we had, and try to implement the configuration process with that
(as a test to see if the extra message type was required)

The only reason I can see for not going the xpl-cnfm route... is that
none of the protocol's behaviour is really optional. It's perhaps the
key issue that made xAP so unpalatable - that chunks of the protocol
were optional and might (or might not) be present in a given message,
dependant not on some nice defined rule, but rather on whether the
individual developer liked them or not!

I can see that there's a gotcha in the X10 handling in xplhal, but I
think the fix for this should involve a wee change to xplhal's
behaviour, rather than an addition to the protocol.

Just my 2p.

Ian.