Re: xPL Hal in a loop

  • Subject: Re: xPL Hal in a loop
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mlansell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 09:51:24 +0100

It's tricky.

I would have expected an X10 status message to be used to report the state
of an X10 device itself (via a status request of an X10 device that
supports
it), whereas the X10.confirm is merely reporting that the CM12 has sent the
message down the powerline.

The built in support for X10 in xPLHal is surely there to aid the user in
setting up useful scripts - i.e. to avoid having to write real code
themselves (hence the wizard).  If that's a goal, it doesn't make sense
that
they shouldn't have to filter X10.confirm messages themselves.

I actually wonder whether the x10.confirm message is even necessary.  After
all, it only reports whether the message was put on the powerline, not
whether the X10 device reacted to it (impossible to know anyway since
status
request is missing from most X10 devices).

If confirmation is deemed necessary, then why not support confirmation of
any xPL message in a generic way, rather than by inventing special
modifications for each schema.  This could be done by adding xpl-cnfm as a
message type like xpl-stat, xpl-cmnd, and xpl-trig.  It would just echo
back
the contents of the received message (i.e. the same schema).  It would not
be mandatory for a service to confirm messages, but the specification would
be there for those that wanted to do it, with no chance that they would be
mistaken for something else.

Mal