Re: DMX and xPL

Exactly!
My (current)preference is for option 2. Only since it seems more
sense to program the switch to create the command to the light but
either way works. I envisaged a config item/items for the switch for
the command. It would always issue a trigger as well since it may be
that you want other actions based upon the event. No reason why this
couldn't extend to a dimmer control either but anything more complex
and it warrants only sensor outputs.

As you say, xPLHal doesn't have to be part of the system - it will
be but right now I'd like a belt and braces approach that works
stand alone but integrated - of that makes sense!

Lehane

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "John B" <home-automation@j...>
wrote:
> > I think the basic problem with your plan is that the xPL design
expects
> > there to be an xplHal (or other message processing equivalent).
>
> There seems to be a misconception that xPL *requires* xPLHal -
this is certainly not the case, although xPLHal does play a big part
in a lot of peoples' installations.

> For example, we have a lot of users out there who are using the
xPL support in SlimServer with no xPLHal installation - they just
use things like command-line senders to send xPL messages to control
SlimServer.

> > As far as I can tell from the docs, xpl devices never send
commands directly
> > to each other - xplHal sends all the commands, based on scripts
and the
> > trigger messages it receives (someone PLEASE correct me if I'm
wrong about
> > this - it's pretty fundamental!)
>
> Firstly, xPLHal is just a regular xPL device on the network - the
only thing that is special about xPLHal is that it acts as a
configuration manager.
> This means that it responds to config.* messages from other xPL
devices.

> Any device on the network can send an xPL command message if it
wishes.

> E.g. I have a desktop shortcut that fires an xpl-cmnd message
directly to control some C-Bus lights - there is no involvement by
xPLHal in this process.

> > So, a light switch sends a trigger when it changes state (using
> > sensor.basic - control.basic has no trigger form).  xPLHal picks
this up and
> > sends commands to lights etc according to the scripts it is
running.

> Yep, this is certainly how a lot of people are using xPL (myself
included) however it does mean that failure of xPLHal will result in
failure of any xPL devices that rely on it.

> > Having said that, I don't see why you couldn't have your
lightswitch send
> > both control.basic commands (to the light) and sensor.basic
trigger messages
> > as you suggest.  You would just have to not script xplHal to
send commands
> > to the lights as well ;-)
>
> I guess it depends on where you want your logic - I can see 3 ways
of approaching this:

> 1. Using xPLHal for logic:
> a) Light switch sends sensor.basic message when button is pressed.
> b) xPLHal detects this and sends control.basic message to lights
> c) Lights (C-Bus, DMX etc.) pick up this message and switch lights
on

> Advantages: Easy to add complex logic via xPLHal.
> Disadvantages: Failure of xPLHal means you are in the dark!
>
> 2. Logic in light switch
> a) Light switch sends control.basic messages to control lights
directly when button is pressed (may also send sensor.basic messages
as well)
> b) Lights pick up control.basic messages and switch on lights.
>
> Advantages: Quick, reliable.
> Disadvantages: More complex hardware required in light switch -
need to have some way of storing/executing/programming logic.

> 3. Logic in lights themselves
> a) Light switch sends sensor.basic trigger message when button is
pressed.
> b) Lights detect the sensor.basic message and determine what
actions to take.

> Advantages/disadvantages are the same as option (2), it's just
that the logic is in the lights themselves rather than in the light
switches.