Re: Re: RS485 - XPL on the wire

> I got the impression that it was always best for a piece of hardware
talk
> native xPL ...???
>
> Im not sure how much processing the xPL message in software  is
required
> ,but if i make it talk native xPL then all thats  required is to use
Tonys
> devcom....???

I'd say that was true for devices connected via a LAN - but if it's
connected to a PC, I don't see the point.  There would have to be some
software running to send the xPL message to that device.  That software may
as well parse the message too, and take the opportunity to make it more
device-friendly - especially if that device is merely a PIC.

> > The heaviest load would be on the DMX side, where the data has to
be
> > continually pumped out - this might be the best side to use the
UART,
> > with the PC side (RS232?) handled through bit-banging.
>
> Yes that may be the way to go.....Having read a bit on the specs it
looks
> like its possible to capture data during the Break period and also
the
> Inter frame period .........
>

> > To produce the equivalent of all channels off, you would have
your
> > DMX interface just send a stream of zeros (and yes, you would
need to
> > reserve a channel for special commands from the PC).
>
> Thats what i suspected ............
>
> > As for dimmer packs - they are often available on Ebay.
Otherwise,
> > it looks like you can get 4 channels for around 100 pounds (e.g.
the
> > Chauvet DMX35 dimmer).
>
> Might have to try ebay.................

Not much there at the moment :-(

> > Of course, it's not just lights that are DMX enabled - you could
turn
> > your house into a virtual nightclub!
>
> Dont think the wife would like that ;-)..Although im sure my teenage
boys
> would like it........
>
> So would you be interested in an  xPL-DMX Interface ??????

Probably not at the moment.  I don't intend replacing the X10 in this
house.
The next house is another matter - but who knows what new technology may be
available by then?  If there is a demand for such a DMX interface, I'd
happily volunteer to write the PC software if needs be.

Mal