RE: Re: RS485 - XPL on the wire

  • Subject: RE: Re: RS485 - XPL on the wire
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:19:01 +0100

>So does that mean hardware wise  serial out of Node 1 goes to serial in
of node 2 ???? and so on ??

No...

You would use an RS485 driver chip as before, so connect from the USART
on the PIC to the serial port on the 485 Driver, then the A/B wires of
the RS485 bus run from node to node.

The "ring" is logical, rather than physical.

So, each node on the network was an ID number settable via jumpers - the
token is "passed" by the master device (just software) to the
first
address, which sends anything it needs to, then "passes" the
token on...
The next device gets the token, broadcasts if it needs to, then passes
it on. And so on..

Each time a device sends the token, it's actually broadcast to everyone
on the shared bus, so the token contains an address for the previous
node.

It might be better (in fact, I think it would be *much* better) if the
token passed from a node back to the master each time.. And the master
keeps a note of which node is "next"...

I'll see if I can knock up a wee diagram for this, as it can get very
complex very quickly!!

Ian.

> You have a control system in place on the "master" device -
if a token

> hasn't been seen for a second or so, it will send a special message
> around that clears the ring and starts again...

Would this be a hardware device or software app ??

Frank