Re: xPLLib v3.0 Public Beta

> Suppose you have two apps installed: A V3 app, and a stand-alone hub.
> The V3 app starts first, binds to port 3865 and starts acting as a
hub.
> The stand-alone hub starts, and can't bind to 3865.

Ha!  But then you are starting things in the wrong order.  Because if
your "old-style" app wants to act as hub, it should start first
before
any other xpl app.
With V3 there is no need to make one app dependend on the other.  But
if you had an old-style hub, it had to start first anyway and that
doesn't harm any new apps (V3 or not) coming up.  (Not entirely true,
eventually things may work, but you might have missed important
messages.  Also, HAL doesn't like it when it is running without a hub,
no ?).

Ok, I feel you guys are killing my oh so genius V3 :-)
It's a pity.  Look what a wonderful world we could be living in if
everybody switched to V3:
- no more seperate xpl hub service
- no single critical service
- every xpl msg gets transmitted because from the moment there is an
xpl app there is also an xpl hub
- if you have only one xpl app, things work like expected
- if you have 2, switch them on in any order
- if you have more, idem
- completely transparent to the developer, just use an xplListener
object like before
- if one hub goes down, the next re-uses the client list from the
previous, so lost msgs are reduced to the minimum

I honestly think V3 is simpler and more robust.

> Only if it's a V3 app - if you consider V3 apps in combination with
other
> hub implementations, the mutex is useless - especially if you only
have
> one V3 app, and all your other apps are from different vendors that
don't
> use the mutex.

Indeed, you can imagine scenario's where a mix of V3 and non-V3 will
render the whole thing useless.
If the only V3 app that grabbed the hub goes down, indeed.  But if the
only regular hub goes down, same.  Disaster scenario's can be invented
for any setup.

> I just don't think we should make a change that will cause 90%+ of our
> user base to have to go and configure their xPL network settings
before
> anything will work.

Ok, good reason not to change the security settings to something too
restrictive.  It is easy to configure and I think I know how to. :-)

Regards,
Tom