Re: Device discovery for control/sensor schemas

  • Subject: Re: Device discovery for control/sensor schemas
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mlansell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 15:44:43 -0000

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "g8kmh" <lehane@m...> wrote:

> Mal,
> Agree 100%. The only comment I'd make is that legacy DMX is a bit
of
> a special case in that you don't get back status information. Any
new
> developments (such as xPL over 485 or CAN) would expect to present
> back status/device list.
>
> Lehane

True, but in those cases, you'd expect to be able to change the
friendly names, and what better way to do it than via configurable
items in xPLHal.

It makes no difference whether the names are stored and translated in
the device itself or in the xPL connector software, the result is the
same - to the xPL world, it is controlled using friendly names.

DMX is not that much of a special case anyway - most UK X10 devices
do not support status reporting either.

Mal