Re: Device discovery for control/sensor schemas

Hi John

> We should be able to be given a list of all known DMX channels, and a
friendly description of >what is connected to them.

Yes a friendly name would be really good ,As Steve has mentioned
xpl-hvision
has provision to use the hv app name of the device....Not sure how you
determine if a dmx channel exsists tho....

This is what im hoping can be done if i get round to playing with
xpl-dmx.lcd stuff...that the  app
will keep the message list (friendly name as well as the actual text) that
will be stored in the pic device,

> The same issue applies to things like the C-Bus connector - you
shouldn't
have to remember the >C-Bus group address of the light(s) you want to
control - you should be able to be >presented .with a list of all
detected
devices

Would be nice to be able to import the cbus groups somehow...???

> The question is: Should each xPL connector be responsible for
maintaining
a list of "friendly" >device names, and mapping them to actual
device names,
so you'd be able to send something >like

Being a hardware hacker im probably way off target here , but my thoughts
are its better to let the connector looks after the friendly names for its
app , less burden on xplhal .....

Also regarding Lehanes idea referring to zoning ie ...zone 1= lounge....
turn on all lounge lites, This i assume is the same as "Area" in
CBUS
...????

Frank