Re: Device discovery for control/sensor schemas

The way the HV connector handles this is to have a additional parameter
called name so it reports

{
DEVICE=1
TYPE=INPUT
CURRENT=HIGH
NAME=My switch
}

It allow for user to send device=1 or device=My Switch.  Not sure if
that the way we want to go but it's the way it currently works.

In terms of discovery you could use the proposed zoning method where by
you send a device=MASTER to Type=Temp for all temp type items or
type=all and it would report the current reading of all devices that it
is the master of.

S.

John B wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Many of the recent xPL apps are making use of the sensor/control
schemas, as these make it much easier for devices to interoperate.

> However, there is no way of finding out a list of valid devices that a
particular xPL connector supports.

> If we take DMX as an example, we can send a message like:
>
> control.basic
> {
> device=3
> type=dmx
> current=255
> }
>
> This will set channel 3 to level 255.
> But how do we know what channel 3 actually is?
> Or even if channel 3 exists at all?
>
> We should be able to be given a list of all known DMX channels, and a
friendly description of what is connected to them.

> The same issue applies to things like the C-Bus connector - you
shouldn't have to remember the C-Bus group address of the light(s) you want
to control - you should be able to be presented with a list of all detected
devices.

> The question is: Should each xPL connector be responsible for
maintaining a list of "friendly" device names, and mapping them
to actual device names, so you'd be able to send something like:

> control.basic
> {
> device=lounge_lights
> type=dmx
> current=255
> }
>
> Or should it be up to a controller like xPLHal to store this
information and do the mapping between friendly devices and actual devices?

> I have a couple of ideas on how we can progress this, but I'd be
interested to hear other peoples suggestions on this one first.