xPL Lib - updates

  • Subject: xPL Lib - updates
  • From: "tomvdp" <tomvdp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:09:39 -0000

Hello,

I had a good look at the xPLLib V2.5 source code and noticed a few
things that needed improvement.
- Configuring filters via HAL does not work.
- Storing configuration items with multiple values other than filters
and groups does not work well.
- It listens on all IP addresses.
- It accepts incoming messages from any source.

So... I had a go at it and the result is:
- New implementation of ConfigItems, Filters, Groups storage.
- Added support for a configuration item "listenon": this is the
address to listen on for incoming data: valid values are
"ANY_LOCAL"
or a specific IP.
- Added support for a configuration item "listento": this is the
address from which to accept incoming data: valid values
are "ANY", "ANY_LOCAL" or a specific IP.
- Added comments ;-)

It comes down to a rather drastic facelift of the XplListener class.
With this version you can configure a component's filters via the
configuration tool (HAL) and the addresses to use for listening on
and accepting data from.
It also allows a developer to define configuration items that can
have multiple values.  HAL does not seem to like this though...

I stayed as close as possible to the existing interface of
XplListener (meaning that everything that was declared public is
still public and has the same type).  Thus developers shouldn't need
to modify any code if they whish to use this version.

The thing that is NOT compatible anymore is the configuration file
that xPLLib uses to save and restore state.

Is there a well-defined way for co-operation, code distribution and
version control ?  I think that the easiest is that I forward the
code to the original developer of xPL Lib and let him decide what to
do with it ?  Can that developer please raise his hand ?  Anybody
volunteering for beta-testing ?

Regards,
Tom