.Net Hub issues again..

  • Subject: .Net Hub issues again..
  • From: Ian Lowe
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 16:38:00 +0000

Okay, this has happened again... :

The event log shows that the hub wrote this to the event log:

"Error during XPL packet analysis: System.InvalidCastException: Cast
from string "" to type 'Integer' is not valid. --->
System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.DoubleType.Parse(String
Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)
at
Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.IntegerType.FromString(String
Value)
at
Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.IntegerType.FromString(String
Value)
at XPLHub.hub.BroadcastMessage(XplMsg& myXPL, Boolean
IsLocal)"

It hasn't worked since.

The .Net hub doesn't start with the PC, and when I try to start it, it
appears to start, then exits straight away - nothing is written to the
log files, the only error message is a popup saying "The XPL Hub
Service
on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop
automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance
Logs and Alerts service."

I have removed the hub, and uninstalled .Net framework, then reinstalled
.Net and the hub (with a reboot in between each for thoroughness) with
no success - this is what brought it back to life last time, although it
seemed a bit whacked at the time.

Now, for super bizzareness, I installed the .Net DawnDusk Service... and
it installs and starts perfectly!

The VB6 Hub of course works perfectly, and if I run it, all the apps
spring into life.

With this happening once, I could write it off as unusual... now I think
it's a bug!

Possible factors - I believe that in each case I have switched from one
adapter to another on the same network - I have seperate gigabit and
10/100 NICs in my PC, and have been moving between them.

Also I have been putting my PC in Standby rather than switching it off -
my Mobo supports Suspend to Ram, which is lightning fast to start from,
but may be causing issues?

As always, ideas welcome.

Ian.