Re: xplHal - unknown vendor

  • Subject: Re: xplHal - unknown vendor
  • From: John B
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 07:30:00 +0000

Hi Jon,

> Was doing a bit of dev work last night and found that xplHal wouldn't
> configuration my device saying it was an unknown vendor. The question
is how
> do I tell it I am a known vendor?

You shouldn't have to.

You can go into writing plugins etc. to improve the ease with which it
configures your device (as per Ian's post) but even without this
information it
should still configure your device.

When your device heartbeats for the first time, xPLHal will send it two
messages:

xpl-cmnd
{
}
config.list
{
command=request
}

To which you should reply with a list of all config items that you support,
e.g.

xpl-stat
{
}
config.list
{
reconf=newconf
option=interval
option=filter[16]
option=group[16]
}

The other message xPLHal will send is:

xpl-cmnd
{
}
config.current
{
command=request
}

To which you reply with the values of your current config items, e.g.

xpl-stat
{
}
config.current
{
newconf=myinstance
interval=5
}

If you are using one of the development frameworks (either my .NET DLL or
Tony's
OCX) then all this config handling is done for you and you shouldn't need
to be
aware of it.

However, if you're developing entirely yourself, then you'll need to make
sure
you are sending out config.list and config.current messages when requested
to do
so by xPLHal, otherwise you'll receive errors from xPLHal saying your
device
cannot be configured.

HTH,

John