Re: Determinators

  • Subject: Re: Determinators
  • From: John B
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 07:48:00 +0000

Hi Frank,

> Now playing with determinators and have a couple of questions....
> In the (CONDITIONS) message parameters its possible to add or remove a
> parameter but not EDIT a parameter....Im assuming that the parameters
must
> be in the correct order (im sure thats a requirement otherwise my
pic-osd is
> in trouble)..which means that the parameters would all have to be
typed in
> again unless its the last parameter that you are editing ?????

The order of the parameters does not matter here.
When an incoming xPL message comes in, xPLHal will check it against each of
your
determinators, and will go through each of your conditions in order, e.g.

Suppose we're looking for an X10 message to say that someone had pressed A1
On
on a mini timer.
We would have two parameters in the condition:

command=on
device=a1

The determinator engine will check the incoming message for
"command=on", and
also "device=a1".
If it finds both parameters in the incoming message, the condition
evaluates to
true.

Equally, if it first looked for device=a1 and command=on, the end result is
the
same, so in this instance it makes no difference what order the comparisons
are
done.

> Maybe copy the "actions" setup..... as you can move
parameters up and
> down...????

For actions, you are constructing an xPL message to be sent out, and as you
rightly say, the order is important - which is why we have the Up and Down
buttons to allow you to change the order.

The determinator engine doesn't preserve the order of conditions, it
optimises
them for it's own internal use.
But I do think an Edit button would be a good idea - we'll see about adding
one.

> Is it possible to delete a Determinator...???

Yes: Select the determinator in the list in xPLHal Manager, then press the
Del
button on your keyboard.
Just noticed that Delete is missing from the right-click menu - again, I'll
look
into this.
(I tend to use keyboard shortcuts most of the time so hadn't noticed)

Regards,

John