Linux: Poor Stepchild for xPL?

  • Subject: Linux: Poor Stepchild for xPL?
  • From: Gerry Duprey <gerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:20:33 -0400

Howdy All,

I was involved in xAP a while back and had to table my involvement just
before
the split.  Much of what I was discussing before then are things that are
now
in xPL and so as I look into getting back into this, it appears xPL is
where
I'd like to go.

I wrote a xAPLib for linux (well, actually, it works on linux, unix
(solaris,
etc) and macOSX) that I've started converting over to xPL.  I know the is a
linux based dev kit already, but it appears to be in C++ -- I try to write
my
base kits in C as it seems to allow easier integration with other
langurages
and it is helping to get myself immersed in the xPL world (though I'm
really
thinking of doing a Java port this time -- maybe after the C thing is
worked out).

Anyway, while there are some Linux things, for the most part, this seems to
be
a heavily Windows crowd. Most downloads don't even indicate if they are for
Linux or Windows (though the Linux ones do seem to be cleared demarced).
What
I'm wondering is -- is linux considered a viable xPL platform?

I see things like xplhal and nifty GUI tools, all geared toward Windows,
but
just a few things for Linux/non-windows.  I'm still coming up to speed on
things (reading a years worth of posts), but wanted to check in with the
general feel/view.

Thanks!

Gerry
--