Re: xPLRio.net Current Situation

  • Subject: Re: xPLRio.net Current Situation
  • From: "rleong1" <rleong1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 21:51:27 -0000

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "rleong1" <rleong1@y...> wrote:
> --- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, Stuart Grimshaw
> <stuart.grimshaw@g...> wrote:
> > On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:11:52 -0000, rleong1 <rleong1@y...>
wrote:
> > > i use shoutcast to stream the output from the baby monitor
across my
> > > network.  that way i can be out in the garage & tune the
garage
RIO to
> > > my shoutcast baby monitor station.  or i can take the
wireless
laptop
> > > to the backyard & tune in that way.
> >
> > Dude!! What a killer idea!!
> >
> > How do you get the sound from the monitor into the PC? Does it
have
> > line out jack on it?
> >
> > --
> > -S
>
> my "baby monitor" is actually a small security cam w/
microphone over
> my baby's crib.  the line level output from the camera goes into my
> soundcard's line in.
>
> one thing i found was that shoutcast isn't meant for live broadcasting
> - there can be lags of 30-60 seconds in the broadcast.  this is due to
> buffering to take into account congestion on the internet, etc.  for
> this application you don't need the buffering.  i found an older
> version of the shoutcast server that has less buffering built in and
> by choosing a higher bitrate, i only have a 5 second lag between
> crying baby and the shoutcast version :)

i forgot to mention that before i put in the camera, i had typical
baby monitor.  to get it into shoutcast, i mounted the receiver near
my pc and stuck a microphone next to the receiver's speaker.  that
worked pretty well.   i coupled that with a magnetic reed switch
mounted on the crib gate.  when the gate was closed, my HA controller
would turn on the appliance modules for the baby monitor sender &
receiver.  when the gate opened, they would get shut off.

the low buffering shoutcast server is version 1.7.1