Re: Re: Disabling auto-generation of scripts was Schema proposal: audio.slimserv

  • Subject: Re: Re: Disabling auto-generation of scripts was Schema proposal: audio.slimserv
  • From: John B
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 07:50:00 +0000

> I'm new the xpl and got here via the direct support for sliMP3. I
> downloaded the nightly build 004-01-03 and enabled xap via the
> network settings.

Do you mean you enabled xPL from within the network settings section of
SlimServer? (i.e. not xap?)
If so, you need to restart SlimServer after you've enabled xPL support
before
the change will take effect.

> I also have a hub app which is able to recognize
> the heartbeat from some other simple applications I downloaded. I
> never did receive a heartbeat from slimsrvr. Is the development too
> early or is there some initiation protocol that that needs to be
> supplied?

If xPL is enabled in SlimServer and it's been restarted, then each player
that
is attached to SlimServer should beat.
If there are no players attached, there will be no beats - it is the
players
themselves that beat.

> I also looked closely at the proposed schema vs the cli and I was not
> able to recognize some of the status information. For example, how
> does one obtain the current volume level of the mixer via xap?
> Playlist index would also be desirable to know the current position
> as items are inserted.

Currently retrieving status info is very limited - all the CLI commands can
be
executed using extended=, but if you use the ? to query an item like
volume, it
will not currently generate an xPL message containing the requested status
info.

I hope to add this functionality as soon as I get chance - and of course if
anyone out there wants to enhance the xPL support themselves they are free
to do
so ;-)

I'll see about updating the schema with a bit more in the way of status
info,
then hopefully I'll get the time to actually amend the code.

> While not related to this schema discussion, maybe I can ask and get
> some insight anyway... When I run the clock app on the same computer
> as the hub then I see the heartbeat message. When I run the same
> clock app on another computer on the lan then I do not see anything
> at the hub. Is there some additional setup that is needed to run xap
> on different computers on the lan?

Again, assuming you mean xPL here.
You need to have a hub installed on any machine where you want to run xPL
software (including the machine running SlimServer).

The reason for this is that only a single app can bind to a UDP port at
once, so
if you wanted to run say, the clock and the monitor and SlimServer all on
the
same box, only one of them could bind to the xPL base port (UDP 3865).
The hub binds to the base port, and all other locally running apps bind to
dynamic ports (>50,000) and inform the hub which port they are listening
on so
that it can relay any incoming messages to each app.

We have hubs available for Windows (both as a service and as a standard
EXE),
Linux, and a Perl version that should run on any OS that has support for
Perl.

Regards,

John