xPL4Java V1.1 now available

  • Subject: xPL4Java V1.1 now available
  • From: Gerry Duprey <gerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:54:23 -0500

Howdy Folks,

I've just put up xPL4Java V1.1 on the web site.  Note the URL has changed.
The new URL for access/download is

http://www.dvarchive.org/xPL

The new URL leads to a web page that lets you download, but also lets you
browse the API docs, example programs, some of the documentation, etc.
It's
very short on looks, but functions.

Things added for V1.1
- The xPL Container.  This allows you to have multiple xPL4Java based apps
running on the same machine under a single JVM.  The container
automatically
loads and starts your apps when it starts and it's fully instrumented so
you
can remotely manage the container (start/stop modules, add/change/remove
modules, reload them, browse them, etc).  There is a supplied GUI client to
manage it as well as complete docs on the xPL based management protocol for
it
(if you want to write your own).

- A number of bug fixes

- New "SendMessage" example app that lets you either send an xPL
message from
the command line or popup a GUI form to fill out allowing you to then send
an xPL message.

- Better throughput for message receiver.  Can handle several hundred
messages
per second now.

- Methods that return Iterators now return Collections which fits into the
Java 1.5 language extensions better (like the new for-each construct)

- Apache Licensed

- Source Code is available

I'm especially excited about the xPL Container.  This provides the
"environment" for your xPL4Java based app so you don't have to
worry about all
the normal startup/tear down crapus of writing an xPL app.  It also allows
multiple apps to run on a machine in an efficient manner (only one Java JVM
running means a lot less RAM in use) and that you only need to start one
process on that machine for all yours apps (vs having to add each new app
some system startup script).  And the GUI management console is pretty cool
(more in what it can do than how it looks).

I've been very careful to insure the "price" to make an xPL4Java
app able to
be in the container very low.  You can either extend a base class and
implement two methods (startModule() and stopModule) or implement an
interface
with 6 simple methods (which can be stub methods for things you don't
need).
The same program that can run in the xPL4Java container can be written to
still be a standalone program or be part of something else, so you really
don't have to make a huge commitment (i.e. use the container or your
program
wont' work).

I really hope folks who do write xPL4Java based apps will make them
compatible
with the container.  If you feel that you would be interested, but need
help
(either understanding how the container works or just running into
problems),
please feel free to contact me.  I think this can be a real win for the xPL
using community if it can get some traction.

Gerry

--
Gerry Duprey
Ann Arbor, MI 48103