Re: New devices, new users

RFID is still a can of worms!!

The retail and distribution industries are still in trial and the
standards are still fluid. EPC looks like having a big following on
HF/UHF. Of course, for a closed application the standards may not
matter but long term the cheapest RFID units (and tags) will be those
adopted in their millions/billions - just like bar codes.

I hope to have an ethernet OSD in the New Year. I just got a couple
of Modtronix modules to go with the Netiom and will be using them
with a 4x20 display and some switches.

The coding of the stack is proceeding - the limitations of memory are
the main challenge - no room for an MTU buffer on the chip so it has
to be read/interpreted on the fly from the NIC.

Lehane

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "Frank Mc Alinden" <fmcalind@b...>
wrote:
> Hi All
>         A couple of  devices that i have been thinking of xPling
are ,
> ...Lcd.......rfid.........
>
> I was hoping to be able to incorporate the lcd into the dmx stuff
but that
> makes it very restrictive...
> Would be better as Lehane suggested and make it as an osd
device..........

> I bought a rfid kit  a while back and did mention on the list , i
still
> have it on the bench gathering dust....I was thinking of doing a
serial
> version of it if people are interested.....
> some links below..first one is Jaycar Kit that i bought......The
other link
> is the rfid readers ......
>
> Which ever project i  start (if enough interest) i was thinking it
would be
> better to have them on a rs485 network so multiple units can be on
the same
> network but my understanding of rs485  ,is that it requires a
master ????
> and not sure how this would be best implemented in a xPL
enviroment ...any
> ideas ????
>
> http://tinyurl.com/7xtn3
>
> http://tinyurl.com/68c5v