Re: xPL Hubs

Ugly or not it's there, and is a single point of failure for all
listeners on one machine. My primary reason for monitoring in the hub
is for reliability / maintenance. I want to know that the hubs on
various machines are up and responsive. It would also be useful to
track the number of messages the hub thinks it has received as, when
compared over time with other messages, this would highlight lost
datagrams and enable analysis of where they were lost.

The connectionless nature of udp makes it difficult to determine
simply from the presence of a listener that a hub is active, but
futhermore something listening doesn't mean something functioning.
Seeing logging / statistics / or heartbeats tick is the only sure way
to know everything's tickety-boo.

None of this is a big issue with a couple of PC's in your own house,
but if you want to sell installations at a high premium it's nice to
be able to have some ability to diagnose problems quickly and
possibly remotely (via VPN).

I've considered asking that the hubs themselves send out heartbeats,
and this would go quite some way to satisfying my requirements, but
I'd still be happiest with all the logging being pulled together with
syslogd/windows eventlog.

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, Tom Van den Panhuyzen <tomvdp@g...>
wrote:
> So much focus on that hub!  :-)
> It's ugly.  It shouldn't be there.  It should be hidden completely.
>
> The hub's only purpose is to distribute incoming packages from port
3865 to  any
> xpl apps  active on  the pc.   It could  have been  implemented
using a complete
> other  mechanism  of  inter-process  communication  than  via
broadcasting  UDP
> packages.  For  me  it  is  part  of  the  communication  layer,
it  is  not an
> application.
>
> It would be cool to have monitors available via perfmon,
webservices, mmc,  etc.