Re: Updated my webpage

  • Subject: Re: Updated my webpage
  • From: "rleong1" <rleong1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:37:10 -0000

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, Tom Van den Panhuyzen <tomvdp@g...>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From the "features" page:
>
> "We can also view the past 10 captured events as short videos.
This is
> another ASP script for starCOM."
>
> How do you capture videos ?  It is something I've been trying to do
> for a while now.  Merely configuring the computer to capture video is
> not easy.
> I was looking at VirtualVCR for this.  It can be started with
> commandline parameters telling it how long to capture, where to put
> the file, etc.  Alas it doesn't quit automatically, so it cannot be
> used unsupervised.
>
> Does the capturing functionality come with StarCOM or do you use
> something else for that ?

the "videos" are captured by a perl script i wrote.  the server
has
video capture card connected to it.  i use a program called webcam
2000 to view the capture card.  it has a builtin webserver.  whenever
a motion sensor is triggered, starCOM launches the script, which does
http gets to the webcam 2000 webserver for a duration of time.  so i
end up w/ a bunch of jpg images of the event captured.  the perl
script then generates an html file that has javascript code in it that
animates the jpg images - sort of like a flip book animation for kids.
it also generates thumbnails for the last 10 events and html for that.

it's not ideal but it works great for me.  the server is only a 933
Pentium 3 so it doesn't have enough horsepower to do real-time video
capture while doing all the other HA stuff i have it doing, so this is
a good compromise for me.

the ASP page talks to starCOM and controls which of the 6 cameras can
be seen through the capture card.  starCOM controls the switching of
the camera views by sending IR to an IR controllable composite video
switcher.