Re: xplSettings

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "John B" <home-automation@j...>

<mlansell@f...>
wrote:
> > > I'm refining my C++ lib at the moment, and want to include
the
support for
> > > multiple network cards and IP filtering that's been
discussed
recently.

> > > I took a look at the xplSettings app, and have some
questions:

> > > 1) Why is there a configurable broadcast address?  I though
the
broadcast
> > > address was always 255.255.255.255
> >
> > There must have been a demand for this, because it was already
present
> > in the xplhub for .net V2.5.  Probably John can answer this.
>
> There are a couple of reasons for this:
>
> 1. If you have no network interfaces in your PC at all (e.g. you
use dial-up or something) and your only IP interface is the loopback
one, then broadcasting to 255.255.255.255 doesn't work, so you need
to broadcast to 127.0.0.1.

Now there's something I didn't know.  Looks like the W800 service is
going to need another update!

> 2. If you have several networks on your PC that use different
subnets, you may wish to broadcast to a limited address, e.g.
192.168.1.255, rather than to all subnets as would otherwise be the
case if you were using 255.255.255.255.

Fair enough.

> > > 2) How are multiple listen-to addresses set?  Is it a comma
separated list?
> > > I presume this will eventually be a more sophisticated type
of
GUI to
> > > prevent format errors?
>
> Yes, it's a comma-separated list, and yes, I do intend to refine
the UI to make it more user-friendly.

snip

> > > 4) Don't we also need an option for specifying which local
IP
to use in
> > > heartbeat messages?
> >
> > This is how I have currently implemented it:
> >
> > if (ListenOn = ANY_LOCAL) or (ListenOn is not a local IP)
> >  then take the first local IP (but not the loopback)
> > else
> >   take the ListenOn address
>
> This seems to work fine for me.

Ah, so ListenOn represents that IP.  Makes sense now.

Cheers

Mal