xPLHal looses config values during device config?

  • Subject: xPLHal looses config values during device config?
  • From: Gerry Duprey <gerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 15:10:38 -0500

Howdy All,

When xPL Hal configures a device and changes the device instance in the
process (from a default to a user supplied one), does it loose the
configuration values you typed in?

Specifically, if you have a device "Awaiting configuration" and
type in some
values, including a new instance ID and send it, when the device
"graduates"
to just being a normal device (no longer listed as Awaiting
configuration"),
does it lose the values you typed in when it was awaiting configuration?

I have a case where xPLHal does this (looses the values) right after
initial
configuration.  Subsequent configuration changes (including subsequent
changes to the instance ID) retain values perfectly OK.  And looking at the
xPL messages across the wire, there is no diff in the message
"body" to the
config.current request and response from/to xPLHAl between the first
unconfiged->configed transition and subsequent configuration attempts.

The xPL messages appear valid and another instance of xPL Hal on another
machine correctly reads/decodes the configuration value for a previously
configured device (i.e. xPL Hal defintely is able to parse the
config.current message being sent out by the device).

My device, upon receiving it's first configuration reponse, installs the
config values and responds with an immediate hbeat.app and right after,
sends out a config.current (in response to xPL Hal sending a request to it
for values after it was reconfigured).  Is it possible xPLHal is seeing the
hbeat.app first and deciding that the device isn't going to respond to the
config.current request it sent to the device? (both responses are within a
few millis of each other, but the order is always the hbeat.app first (as a
completion step from configuration) and then the config.current (as a
response to the received config.current request)).

I know this may be a bit hard to follow -- it's a bit difficult to
describe.
If you need more, (or a sample app to demonstrate), just let me know.

Thanks!

Gerry

--
Gerry Duprey