Re: Why does xPLHal need a plugin to deal with a xPL Device?

Howdy,

Okay -- definetly was an issue in my immature config logic at the time.  I
just went in the wrong direction.  Things are working well now and with
luck, they may be a release very soon.

Thanks again!

Gerry

Gerry Duprey wrote:
> Howdy John,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  It's very possible I'm doing something wrong
with the
> configuration messages as I'm using xPLHal to to my initial testing of
the
> config subsystem.  Seems there is a good chance I've been chasing down
the
> wrong hole :-).  I'll stop focusing on the XML files and get back to
the
> core of it -- finding problems in my code.
>
> It really helped to hear this -- sometimes I get overly fixated on the
> literal error message and don't think through the underlying causes.
>
> Have a great day,
>
> Gerry
>
> John B wrote:
>
>>Hi Gerry,
>>

>>>I've been recently playing with xPLHal trying to use it to test
my Java
>>>framework, specifically in the configuration area.  However, I
find it will
>>>not let me configure a device -- it keeps claiming that there
is novendor
>>>info for it.
>>

>>This is usually because the device hasn't responded to a request
for a config.list or a config.current.
>>I'll need to check the exact cause.
>>

>>>While I can see the benefit of providing a config file or
something to help
>>>make xPLHals job easier, I don't understand why it refuses to
deal with a
>>>device until it has that file.  It can get everything it needs
to configure
>>>a device sing the config protocol.
>>

>>Indeed - and it does.
>>The message you're seeing has nothing to do with vendor plug-in
files.
>>(maybe this is a slightly misleading message - I may see about
changing it)

>>All the vendor files do is provide a context-menu when someone
right-clicks on your device, provide friendly help text during
configuration, and provide a list of actions and other messages that your
device can send out for use by determinators.

>>xPLHal's core configuration process does not depend on
vendor-supplied plug-in files.

>>I'll check why that error is appearing, but I'd suggest you delete
all files from xPLHal's config and vendor folders that relate to the device
you're trying to configure.

>>If xPLHal sends out a request for a config.list, and it doesn't get
a reply, it assumes the device can't support remote configuration.
>>You may need to delete the files mentioned above, and restart the
xPLHal service to get it to try and query the device again.