Re: xPLLib v3.0 Public Beta

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:27:19 -0000, Mal Lansell <mlansell@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > How the hub functions in a nutshell:
> > - loads clients on startup (the xpl apps it serves)
> > - listens on 3865
> > - checks whether to accept from the source [V3]
>
> This is the new IP check, yes?

Yes.
I forgot to add that in V3 it also listens on a configured IP (or any).

> > - checks incoming msgs to be valid xpl msgs
> > - if it receives a HBEAT from a local IP, then stores the port nr
in
> > the clients list
> > - broadcasts incoming msgs to all clients on the list
>
> Should it also look at the target field, and filter based on that?

No, this is handled in xpl lib based on filters.  Every xpl app
receives all messages and then decides what to do with it.

> > It doesn't send HBEAT items itself or doesn't listen to config
items for
> itself.
> >

> It could though, couldn't it?  Then the allowable IPs could be
configured
> via xPLHal.

What you propose is exactly the route I had implemented and later
aborted again.  (use config items that can be set with HAL).
But the configurations are a pc-wide setting, not for the hub alone.
If you want your hub to listen on a specific IP, this same setting
should be used for the other xpl apps.  Same for accepting packets.
It doesn't make sense to let the hub listen on a specific address and
maybe accept packages from specific addresses while at the same time
on another port there are apps listening on all ip addresses and
accepting anything.

I think John plans/has a tool to set these configuration elements in
the registry.  Logically they belong next to "BroadcastAddress"
which
is already configurable via the registry.

Regards,
Tom