Re: Netiom - was DMX512

  • Subject: Re: Netiom - was DMX512
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 11:12:42 -0000

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "g8kmh" <lehane@m...> wrote:
> Currently the Microchip PICC18. I'm not really up to recoding either
> IP stack in assembler - although it would be great if someone did!

I'm fairly certain that will be a short queue of volunteers.

So... err... which compiler are you usin'

> One item of note - both the Netiom's I received appear to have the
> same MAC address which is in the chip EEPROM.

That is very, very scary.

A few, no, make that many years ago, I had the "pleasure" of
finding a
duplicate MAC address on a big network (old style, thick ethernet,
DELNIs etc, several hundred nodes), took weeks.  Was not at all
funny...  Was a network card that randomly picked MAC addresses for
itself.  This was in the days of the several hundred quid network
cards.  My boss went purple when I snapped it clean in two over the
edge of a desk.  "Have you any idea how much that card cost he ranted
at me."  I had to explain that if we sent this card to the repairers
they would test it on a small network, and it would almost certainly
work perfectly.  And it would finally end up back here, and be
re-installed, and then we get to play the game all over again.

So I would have a fair sense of humour failure in Phaedrus's direction
if the cards they ship me have dupe addresses.

> Just received the tube of 18F452's and clean compiled the Microchip
> stack so next is to add the xPL UDP handler, then the state machine
> and finally the I/O ports handler.

Groovy...