Re: DMX512

  • Subject: Re: DMX512
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:08:42 -0000

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "Frank Mc Alinden" <fmcalind@b...>
wrote:

Hi Frank

> Forgotten about your board.......Are you going to use it in your
> setup ????

I did, in the old days in the UK, but unlikely for the home now.  I
keep saying it, but a CBus installation is on the cards as soon as I
get the right amount of time...  Pity really, its (he says, getting a
tad big-headed) a really good design, it is rock solid, does exactly
what it says on the can.  I dunno, maybe.  Be good for the garden
lights, I suppose, as you can handle effectively any size load with
it, unlike the miserable amp or so out of a CBus dimmer :-)  Just need
to find some good chokes to keep the RFI down.  Many USA made dimmers
had no RFI supression chokes at all, and they seemed to have survived...

In my "unfinished symphonies" box I have many bits for an IGBT
dimmer
I was going to try and build.  No EMI problems with IGBT dimmers,
controlled rate of switch on and switch off, no fuses needed.

> Just ordered a dmx transmitter and relay board to play with
> from Milfords...

I have to say though, that board (available from maplins, UK folk,
thats if they ever actually have any in stock :-) looks good.

If there are any stagers in here that need a PC based DMX lighting
controller (and more), look no further than PCStage (google for same).
Really excellent bit of software (he says, with just one show under
the belt with it), really excellent author support, uses a 250 quid
box to do the DMX output.

Frank - on a separate topic - I note you are threatening to rewrite
the code for the Netiom.  PIC18F.  What compiler are you using???