RE: Re: Shoutcast ok, normal music skipping

  • Subject: RE: Re: Shoutcast ok, normal music skipping
  • From: "Tony Tofts" <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 08:13:42 +0100

Hi All,

Some background info.

I've got a few albums that have shown this jittering, and have never been
able to play them.

Investigation shows them to be recorded at a high vbr rate (in fact windows
reports the tracks at having a bit rate of between 500kbs to 600kbs).

I have just recut a sample track to a fixed 320kbs and it's just as bad.

Recut again to 192kbs and it plays fine.

I've tried a few changes to the rio client (it's based on libmad) and
although I eventually got the 500 to 600 version to play ok, it was by
increasing the play buffer (implications for tts) and by disabling the
display of the time count on the display to provide spare processor power.

Though this had little effect on a fixed 320kbs file.

The rio client has 2 buffers.

A) 128kb buffer for incoming stream

B) 16kb buffer to feed madplay

Increasing 'b' to 40kb or even 80kb only delays the start of the jitters
though.

I've also monitored the buffers and they never fall below their optimum
level (i.e. full), so it's not really a buffering issue.

This all points to available processor power....

To be honest I'm stumped as to a solution at the moment, but am looking in
more detail at how madplay works.

Regards
Tony