RE: Display server

  • Subject: RE: Display server
  • From: "Tony Tofts" <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 18:43:21 +0100

> I recently made the switch from the original Rio software to
> xPLRioNet and I have to say it is awesome.One feature that I
> was using before switching was the Display Server hack that
> allowed you to see on a pc via a small application or a
> browser exactly what was on the display of the Rio. I used
> this feature in conjunction with a small E.P.O.S TFT screen
> connected to a pc to give me a giant sized view of the Rio
> display (which we all know to be useless from a distance of
> more than a few inches) allowing me to use the remote
> anywhere in the room.
> If you were able to add a similar feature to xPLRioNet it
> would for me at least make it the best bit of software ever
> written for the Rio.
> Even if this is not possible I reckon I will still be
> sticking with xPLRioNet as all the other features you have
> provided make it too good to do without.
> Thanks again for all your hard work.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the kind words.

The software will display the menus on an xpl enabled osd and sends out xpl
messages of the currently playing track. This _could_ be used, but I seem
remember the hack you are talking about.

Am I right in thinking this hack is a web site hosted on the rio?

Currently when a web request is made to the rio on port 80 the calling
browser is redirected to the web page for the unit that is hosted by the
xplrionet software.

I see no reason why a display hack could not be included, though the exact
format of the web page it displays would probably differ (assuming it's a
web page).

If the above is close, or you can supply me more information on the hack
and
how it works (e.g. do you see menu updates in realtime?) we'll see what can
be done.

Regards
Tony