Re: Configuring CM12 service

John B wrote:

>Meanwhile, you should be able to get around the problem by following
these steps:

>1. Stop the xPLHal service.
>2. In your Windows system directory (C:\Winnt\system32 or
c:\windows\system32) delete the file xpl_johnb-cm12.instance1.xml.
>3. Inside your xPLHal installation directory (by default this is
C:\Program Files\xPL\xPLHal), look in the Data\Vendor directory for the
file johnb-cm12.cache.xml, and open it in Notepad.
>Look for the line:
>  <configitem key="comport" type="config" />
>
>Change the type= to read type="reconf" and save the file.
>
>4. Restart xPLHal service.
>5. Restart CM12 service.
>
>You should now be able to go in and reconfigure the CM12.

Cheers for that.  I thought there must be something hidden away
somewhere ;-)

>>I've also experienced a lot of lock-ups with the CM12 plugged in
(even
>>during windows startup) - does anyone else get this?
>>

>I've been very lucky during the 2+ years that I've owned my CM12
(though haven't used it for over 3 months now since moving to C-Bus) - it's
never locked up on me once, though I know a lot of people over on UKHA_D
have reported problems with lock-ups.

I'm using it with a quad rs232 pci card - that might have something to
do with it!  I'll try it with the built in com1 port tonight.

>>One more thing - I use an X10 RF receiver from WGL Designs
>>http://www.wgldesigns.com/w800.html
>>
>>I can highly recommend it as a faster way to receive input from X10
>>remotes - direct to the PC without going down the powerline.  I
plan to
>>write an PL service to handle it (unless someone has already done
or is
>>doing it!).
>>

>I'm not aware of anyone writing an xPL interface for it at the moment.
>Sounds interesting though, as I've been looking at ways to continue to
use my X10 RF remotes/keyfobs without resorting to the problems associated
with the powerline side of things.

Not only does it cut down on the delay between pressing the remote and
the associated action, but it also allows some extra remapping of codes
- I can receive B1 On over the RF and use it to send different codes
over the powerline - and still have B1 free for some unrelated item on
the powerline if I want to.

>>I may have a few questions when I get started since I've
>>never used VBScript - I'm Mr C++ :-)
>>

>Feel free to fire away with any questions - I'm sure someone here will
be able to help.
>Have you looked at C#? You may find this easier than VB.NET if you are
already familiar with C++.
>And of course, you could always write the xPL service in C++ :-)

I have C++ code for it already, and also a windows service framework
that was the core of my old HA application.  I can knock that together
quite quickly.  The trick will be to make it configurable with the
xPLHal Manager, and to provide the same install as all the other services.

Then there will be the issue of testing - I don't know if anyone other
xPL user has one of these things!

Mal