Re: Configuring CM12 service

Hi Mal,

> I've finally decided to abandon my completely custom HA program and
use
> xPL as the core.

Welcome to the group - I made exactly the same decision as you, and
switched from a completely home-built app over to xPLHal about 15 months
ago, and have never looked back!

> Anyway, I installed all the services OK, but when I configured the
CM12,
> I put in the wrong com port number.  From then on, the com port is not
> listed as a configuration option.  Reinstalling etc doesn't seem to
fix
> it.  Is there anyway to force the CM12 service to want to be
configured?

This is a bug in the CM12 service - the COM port should be reconfigurable -
I'll see about fixing this.

Meanwhile, you should be able to get around the problem by following these
steps:

1. Stop the xPLHal service.
2. In your Windows system directory (C:\Winnt\system32 or
c:\windows\system32) delete the file xpl_johnb-cm12.instance1.xml.
3. Inside your xPLHal installation directory (by default this is C:\Program
Files\xPL\xPLHal), look in the Data\Vendor directory for the file
johnb-cm12.cache.xml, and open it in Notepad.
Look for the line:
<configitem key="comport" type="config" />

Change the type= to read type="reconf" and save the file.

4. Restart xPLHal service.
5. Restart CM12 service.

You should now be able to go in and reconfigure the CM12.

> I've also experienced a lot of lock-ups with the CM12 plugged in (even
> during windows startup) - does anyone else get this?

I've been very lucky during the 2+ years that I've owned my CM12 (though
haven't used it for over 3 months now since moving to C-Bus) - it's never
locked up on me once, though I know a lot of people over on UKHA_D have
reported problems with lock-ups.

> One more thing - I use an X10 RF receiver from WGL Designs
> http://www.wgldesigns.com/w800.html
>
> I can highly recommend it as a faster way to receive input from X10
> remotes - direct to the PC without going down the powerline.  I plan
> write an xPL service to handle it (unless someone has already done or
is
> doing it!).

I'm not aware of anyone writing an xPL interface for it at the moment.
Sounds interesting though, as I've been looking at ways to continue to use
my X10 RF remotes/keyfobs without resorting to the problems associated with
the powerline side of things.

> I may have a few questions when I get started since I've
> never used VBScript - I'm Mr C++ :-)

Feel free to fire away with any questions - I'm sure someone here will be
able to help.
Have you looked at C#? You may find this easier than VB.NET if you are
already familiar with C++.
And of course, you could always write the xPL service in C++ :-)

Regards,

John