RE: Dusk/Dawn - before and after

  • Subject: RE: Dusk/Dawn - before and after
  • From: Robert Welsh
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:09:00 +0000

> > In Homeseer I've 3 events based around a "dusk time" -
an
> > event that is dusk-30mins, an event at dusk and a further
> > event at dusk+30mins.
>
> We'd need to add an option to trigger pre/post dusk/dawn messages.
>
> Makes sense, never thought of that before!

I guess it just depends on your usage patterns. I tend to trigger
various lighting levels around the house using these three tiggers.
Others might use something more sensible like an electronic dusk/dawn
sensor (which is bound to be more accurate given it would account for
cloud cover etc). However, in the absence of such a device I've found
the using calculation to be "Good Enough"(tm).

> Should it be fixed (e.g. 30 & 60 mins before/after each
dawn/dusk)

> Or user config option?

I'd opt for user config - but then that's only cos that's what the
marketing dept tell me on a daily basis !!

It does raise another interesting point though, when the service
triggers how would a receiving system know which trigger it is (i.e.
dusk-30, dusk or dusk+30)? I guess you need to embed a token in the
trigger so that the value could be queried by a receiving system.

Cheers,
Rob