RE: Adding CD tracks to xPLRio.net database

  • Subject: RE: Adding CD tracks to xPLRio.net database
  • From: Tony Tofts
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:01:00 +0000

Hi Rob,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you, this was in my 'waiting
action'
folder too!

> In order to save ripping time and gigabytes of space I am
> planning to integrate my CD collection into my Rio setup. The
> CDs in question are housed in a Sony "megachanger" which is
> controllable via xPL (or at least it will be when I finish
> xPL-enabling my Nirvis Slinke - www.nirvis.com).

Neat

> My theory is that by piping the output of the CD changer to a
> Shoutcast server I should be able to listen to CD and MP3
> tracks on my Rios by toggling between the xPLRioNet and
> Shoutcast streams. Unless you're already planning on adding
> xPLRioNet functionality to stream from a live source :-)

Sounds good, though shoutcast support isn't running yet (it's on the
priority list though)

Yes, we are planning to stream input from a sound card to the
rio's/Exstreamers etc. Just havent worked out how to capture the input yet.
If anyone has any ideas, or even better some source code, please advise.

> The question is - what's the best way to integrate my
> existing CD database with the xPLRioNet database, so that I
> can search and select tracks/albums "transparently"?
<snip>

The hardest thing here is implementing the scanning of the data into the
system.

We could have a frontend program for a user to type in details into the
database, specifying an artist/genre/album and then each track name (artist
and genre's could include a drop down of known entries)? These could then
be
flagged as manual entries that arent removed by a purge (Anyone with an
existing database would probably know how to merge them manually). Manual
entries would be assumed to be on the 'live' stream (or maybe a choice of
sources).

If we standardise a message class for cd changers etc, we could then send
automatic xpl control message too. As the xplrionet website works purely by
sending xpl messages, anything xplrionet can do - a user written interface
could also do.

Thoughts?

Regards
Tony