RE: New User Guidance

  • Subject: RE: New User Guidance
  • From: Ian Lowe
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 10:49:00 +0000

href="/group/ukha_xpl/post?postID=J_ss8GGEZKwNcnSafw02ev02AOtrMscCb3q6HcPCcBfFNyJwNuDR1YlXXTgu9c-jLZWGi3yGsMZuI7HdpXyAwXnp">ukha@o...</a>]

>Hi All

HI Martin, welcome to ukha-xpl!

>I'm a new user to XPL, i've been using XAP to send messages from HV to
>my Slimp3 player using the simple XAP send utility.
>I have a number of camera's outside which are connected to HV input
>ports and it displays which camera has been triggered on my Slimp3.

Sounds nice and easy to get playing :)

>The new Slimp3 software includes a XPL plugin and i've got the HVXPL
>plugin and XPLHAL running - how can i now configure these apps to do
>what i want ?

Okay, xplhal is a scripting engine, it runs scripts in response to xPL
messages, time of day, other external triggers. There are two ways to
get at that functionality - the original method (and the most powerful
if you want to get all geeky on it's ass ;) ) is to write a wee vbScript
- this is best done through the Scripts interface of the xplhal manager.

The newer, and much friendlier, way is to use Determinators - basically
all xpl apps have an xml description, which tells xplhal manager how to
handle the messages it generates, and how to use it's features.

>Basically if Inputs B1 - B8 go high i want slimp to display a Xpl
>message telling me which camera has been tripped, not too sure how to
do
>this just yet .

Sounds pretty easy - assuming the right stuff is "wired up" in
Steve and
John's xml files..

Here's a (very loose!!) walk through:

1) fire up xplhal manager, and update your plugin library - Help >
Update Plugin Library> Select All > OK

2) Right Click on "Determinators", and choose "new
determinator" - the
wizard appears.

3) Click Next

4) Give it a Name, like "Display Camera Triggers", Click Next

5) Now we add conditions - if these are all met, the determinator will
"fire" - click Add

6) this lists all of the known xPL apps on the network - select the HV
App - in the triggers/conditions box, an option should appear for
something like "Sensor reading received" - choose the type of
sensor
"input", Fill in the "name" field and Click OK

This is where my help becomes patchy, as I don't have homevision!!
Basically, this should cause the determinator to "trip" whenever
"input" type sensor message is received from Homevision.

7) in "actions" select the slim server, the action "display
on screen
message" should appear.. this lets you enter a message to be popped on
screen when the determinator fires. Fill in the "name" field and
Click
OK

This gives a wee "end to end" test - HV fires, OSD displays an
arbitrary
text in response - now we need to get the actual camera details that
fired.. this is where I nervously shuffle about, then bolt for the edge
of the stage. ;)

I'll leave this for John rather than possibly talking sh*te from here!

Ian.