Re: CLID from a Cisco Router

  • Subject: Re: CLID from a Cisco Router
  • From: John B
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:02:00 +0000

> Cisco's voice enabled routers are capable of a subset of TCL, this
> primarily allows for some basic IVR application, but in there recent
> relese of IOS 12.3T they have official support for most of TCL 8.3.4.
>
> This now allows for TCP communications to/from the voice enabled
> router under the command of TCL scripts. This would allow for CLID
> to be sent directly from the router as a call comes it.
>
> If you wanted to get smart about it, you could send a message back
> to the router and tell it what to do with the call, i.e. divert to a
> H.323 session somewhere on the internet.

Sounds cool.

> I know xpl is UDP based etc. but has there been a requirement for
> TCP xpl messages, even if it's bridged?

You can do this using XHCP, which is the protocol used to control xPLHal:

xPLHal listens on TCP port 3865.
When you connect, you enter into a session very similar to an SMTP-type
session.
You issue commands to the xPLHal server, and it sends you back responses.
There is a command called SENDXPLMSG, which allows you to send an xPL
message to
the xPLHal server via TCP, which the server will then send out over UDP.

The following session example shows sending an xPL message over TCP -
remember
though you'd need to program the IP of the xPLHal server to connect to into
the
router some how - I guess you'd hard code it in your script?

C: indicates commands you send
S: indicates replies from the server
S: 200 XPL-XPLHAL.SATURN (Version 1.0.1359.34818)
C: SENDXPLMSG
S: 313 Send message to be transmitted, end with <CrLf>.<CrLf>
C: xpl-cmnd
C: {
C: hop=1
C: source=a-b.c
C: target=*
C: }
C: tts.basic
C: {
C: speech=Hello
C: }
C: .
S: 213 XPL message transmitted
C: QUIT
S: 221 Closing transmission channel - goodbye.

Note that every line the client sends to the xPLHal server must terminate
with a
CrLf pair - this is different to UDP xPL messages where new lines are only
marked with a Lf character.

The full XHCP spec is on www.xplproject.org.uk under the Documentation
section.

> if so I could possibly
> create a TCL script to fit around this, and provide CLID, and
> possibly more. I suppose a HTTP PUT would be the a sensible way to
> do this..

Yep, it would be quite easy to have a web page that processed the PUT
request
and fired out a UDP message.

> Another option is VoiceXML support, this generally has limited call
> comtrol etc. compared to TCL within IOS, but it would be enough for
> CLID.
>
> Either way it would be fun to xpl enable a cisco router :)

Sure would :-)

The one area that I don't think we could support at the moment is the
router
receiving xPL messages over TCP.
We could maybe add a command to XHCP which, when issued, would cause xPLHal
send a subset of received messages over the TCP channel, so the router
could be
informed of them.

Regards,

John