RE: [ADVERT] Request for xPL Beta Testers

  • Subject: RE: [ADVERT] Request for xPL Beta Testers
  • From: Tony Tofts
  • Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 15:26:00 +0000

> Hmm, that sounds a bit scary!
>
> Are there any idiot proof instructions for someone with no
> linux knowledge and no linux boxes to set this up on the tivo?

It's _very_ scary, at least for me it was!

I'll put together some notes (mini-how-to), but they'll come with no
warranty etc etc....

It's pretty straight forward, no need for another linux/unix box, but there
is one dangerous bit to do with changing the file system from read only to
read write, adding text to the end of a file (I don't have an editor
running) and back to read only. If you forget to put the fs back to read
only and reboot, I believe it scr@ws the tivo?

I think Ian is running it in a telnet session instead for the moment, which
is a lot easier!

I could resurect the old version I guess, but I really want to get as much
of the xPL stuff as native as possible.

Regards
Tony