RE: SMALL PC

  • Subject: RE: SMALL PC
  • From: Tony Tofts
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 10:25:00 +0000

> Never seen one, that being said, you can remote mount a samba
> file system as
> well:
>
> mount -t smbfs \\machine\share /mnt/mountlocation

The advantage of an nfs file system is that you can mount the whole linux
root fs from a share.
Most of the windows nfs servers don't support symlinks or special devices
(/dev)
None that I've found support /dev, though I believe devfs can be used to
build it in ram...

With smb it's fine for persistent storage and running stuff after boot, but
re-configuring the system (like adding new devices) when using root off a
ramdisk isn't possible. You'd need a full linux system for the
configuration.

I'm hoping I can use a combination of devfs and a simple nfs server to get
around the problems.

But the free windows nfs server I'm testing causes my test linux box to
hang
when it tries to write (reads fine).

I can boot a linux system off of windows (using ramdisk for root) without
even getting a single error, but it's not distributable as it's not
configurable :-(

Regards
Tony