Re: xPL apps + projects

  • Subject: Re: xPL apps + projects
  • From: Ian Lowe
  • Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 12:20:00 +0000

It's highly unlikely that you can develop a compliant bit of code without
the xplhal environment in place: it's currently the best way to handle the
configuration process, and pretty much the best way to test code.

xPLHal started life as a generic home Controller, however, it has become
pretty much the base building block for everything else.

There is a general purpose Sender for sending messages on the network, and
monitor for tracking conversations as they happen (both on the xplproject
site under downloads), and these are useful... it's just a pain in the ass
to send the various config messages manually, when xplhal does it all for
you.

In your own environment, I would suggest that you use xPLHal (which
incorporates the hub service) and run Tony's devCOM framework app (which
will bridge xPL Messages to the Serial bus).

When you run devCOM, it will do nothing initially, it needs to be
configured
by xPLHal first: you do this in xplhal manager (it's fairly easy to follow)
and set "newconf" to the name you wish to give the serial bridge
(the PC
name is a good choice) and the Serial port to use.

Once that's in place, you can use the sender and monitor as diagnostic
tools. Your own devices should also honour the config process, again, there
are details on the xplproject website. (under core documents)

Ian.