RE: Newbie to xPL, downloaded all files, how to test?

  • Subject: RE: Newbie to xPL, downloaded all files, how to test?
  • From: Tony Tofts
  • Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:23:00 +0000

Hi Gary,

> I have searched but nothing seems to explain, how you actually
> control Winamp, for example, from xplhalmgr ?

I'll have to leave this to Ian/John to advise.

> I want to check its all working as I am using Win98, so I had to
> manually install things. When I run xPLHalExe "Form1.......
xPLHal is
> running..." in a window, is this normal?

Yep. The exe version is really just the development environment for the
service version, but I will be making a proper installer (and better
looking
form) as time allows.

> I had to create these folders for the software, is this correct?
> C:\Program Files\xPL\xPLHal
> and C:\Program Files\xPL\xPLHal Manager

Any folder will do, I assume you've also copied in the sub folders?

> Is there any easy way I can get an idea how to use and set up
> xplhalmgr, for example open "Notepad" then after a few secs
close it?
> something simple that will be on all computers?

There isn't currently an xpl application that launches other applications
on
demand, but it would only take few minutes to knock something up. I'll see
what I can do.

Basically with xplhal running on a pc, you should be able to launch xplhal
manager and it will ask for the ip of the xplhal pc. If this is the same
pc,
just type in localhost. From within xplhal manager you should then see the
sample scripts etc

At this point you have no other apps running, so you can't do much.

If you want to run some of the other xpl app's on a different pc you'll
need
to load the xplhub on each of the other pc's along with one or more app's

These will then appear in the waiting config section of xplhal manager,
where they can have their settings configured. And youre away.

I havent personally run xplhal on a win98 pc, but will be trying it this
weekend in case there are any unexpected issues. The fact that you get the
form, suggests it should be running fine.

Unless you have an xpl app that creates _input_ to the network (like a
meteor or redrat or something) you'll not see too much happening. Under the
tools menu the xplhal manager has a utility to send a message.

I'll knock up a quick xpl to launch a program, and post back with a url and
sample message to send

Regards
Tony