STB

  • Subject: STB
  • From: Tony T
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 08:55:00 +0000

Hi all,

After a lot of thought I don't see how I can build a diskless stb that
anyone can use, with the applications/hardware of their choice, in the time
I have available. It's only worth the development effort if a lot of people
are truly interested. Even then there are the issues of running it on
different hardware...

So, unless I'm convinced otherwise, this project is dead as far as a public
release is concerned, sorry.

I am still going ahead with the project. But anyone wanting to use it will
need to build their own development pc to build it for their own hardware.

Mine will be based on a via mini-itx 5000 mobo with an 8 port serial card
and 128mb ram.
It'll boot diskless linux (a pure ram drive image, so no need for nfs) and
be a very basic linux installation.
Just enough to run xPL applications that require a serial card, to start
with.

I _will_ make everything available since, other than rebuilding a kernel,
it
should be possible to edit an image of the file system, and build a new
ramdisk image from _any_ linux pc. Perhaps this is also possible for the
kernel.

Regards
Tony